LED Street Lights Are Energy Savers
The benefits of converting to LED street lights are many:
- a 3 to 8 years payback period
- greater than 50% ROI
- lower energy and carbon costs
- lower maintenance and replacement costs
- better visibility
Carbon neutral local government is about taking responsibility for your carbon footprint and emissions. Going carbon neutral is a powerful way of demonstrating leadership and pricing carbon helps make the case for business decisions that support the transformation towards a cleaner economy.
- The LED lights have a lifespan of 20 years compared to the old high pressure sodium lights that had to be replaced every six years
- The LED lights use 50 to 60 per cent less energy compared to the traditional street lights
- For an average city, LED street lights will also reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 324,000 tonnes over 20 years
Citizens may see a change because of the span of where the lights go is different than the high pressure sodium. The light is brighter, more efficient and more direct
It may also be a good time for a city to update their lighting standards and policies to reflect current practices and standards. Turning this into the conversion program is wise. Beyond a conversion program, the city should consider LED lighting on new projects such as those born from development and local improvement.