Burlington flood: Cities face new breed of storms, climatologist says
Canadians are facing a ‘new breed’ of storms, and governments should change the way they plan for the kind of wild weather that caused a flash flood in Burlington, Ontario, Canada.
And not only in Canada. All around the world, infrastructure is aging and breaking down. We need to take into consideration the new climate and look for innovations like green roofs, porous pavements and storm management solutions like the various and complementary water solutions at BetterWorldSolutions.
‘It’s like these are bulls-eyes.’—Dave Phillips, senior climatologist, Environment Canada, about intense local storms. “These [once in] 50-year floods are occurring every 10 years, because our climate has changed,” he said.
CBC meteorologist Shelly James said that Monday’s flash flood (August, 4 2014) was an extremely isolated event, with 190 mm of rain in Burlington. Dan McKinnon, the City of Hamilton’s director of water and watershed operations, said his department is well aware of the change in weather, but the challenge is how to deal with it.
More floods in urban area in 2014
- May 14, 2014, 2014 Southeast Europe floods
- February 2014, 2014 Recent storms and floods in the UK
- August 12, 2014 9 Dead after Massive Rainfall and Floods in South West China
- July 3, 2014 Southern China Floods – 15 Dead, 8 Missing
- August 11, 2014 USA, Record Rain and Flash Floods Cause Chaos on Detroit Highways
- August 10, 2014 Indonesia 15,000 Evacuated, 1 Missing after Sulawesi Floods
- August 11, 2014, 1 Dead, 1 Missing after Flash Floods in South Carolina
- August 7, 2014, India, Odisha Floods Worsen – 45 Dead, 3 Million Affected
- August 11, 2014, Cambodia – Floods in 12 Provinces, 20 Dead
- Lessons learned from Hurricane Sandy
- Scientist warn for more floods in summer period
- Earthquakes, river flooding, cyclones and tsunamis: world’s 10 riskiest cities
- Dutch Style Flood Defences
- Italy battles floods as bad weather batters Europe
Have you seen this?
BetterWorldSolutions helps you to find high qualified leads and sales partners
Send us your question: firstname.lastname@example.org