The Gravity Battery Concept
A gravity battery could be created by using an energy source to slowly lift a large weight (using gearing or pulleys), then discharged by lowering the weight to run a generator when needed.
The gravity battery consists a tube, weight, cable and coil. When the weight is up, the battery is considered charged.The effect would be the same as using other home battery systems but with:
- cheap materials
- no heavy metals
- unlimited lifetime
- energy is available instantly
As they say: the gravity battery is maintenance free, has a maximum output, regardless of charge level and is 100% safe.
Powered by solar
Solar energy is free and plentiful everywhere on the planet, the only problem is that it’s only available half of the day. We need an efficient way of storing it. This gravity battery seems to be able to store large amounts of surplus energy for medium to long periods of time.
The concept of exploiting the force of gravity has been around for centuries in the form of the pendulum clock, which stores the energy that a person puts into the system and then distributes it slowly over a long period of time.
The gravity battery acts in a similar way, it stores the surplus energy obtained from solar panels during long periods of time, and then delivers it whenever it is needed. Is this the solution of storing large amounts of energy for an indefinite period of time?
About the Gravity Battery
- There is a series of hollow vertical underground cylindrical tubes, each of them containing a heavy weight which hangs inside the tube attached to a high strength cable
- Above the ground, each wire is spooled up and attached to its own coil
The coils are mounted along a central support axis which carries all the weight. Inside the support axis, there are two transmission axis, one for the charger and one for the generator.
Each coil can be switched individually between the two transmission axis, through a gear system.
- When energy is in surplus, the distributor routes it to the charger (an electric engine). The charger uses the electric energy it receives to spin its transmission axis, thus spinning all coils attached to that axis, and lifting their weights up to maximum height.
- When a weight is at maximum height, its coil will automatically switch from the charger axis to the generator axis.
- When energy is needed, the allocator switches off the break on the generator axis, thus causing the coils to unwind and spin the axis, powering the generator and creating electricity.
- Using a system of gears, the charger can operate even with low energy input. Using multiple tubes allows the system to both charge up and supply energy at the same time.
It’s a concept
A project has been conceived to illustrate the concept of the gravity battery and how it would theoretically work. The developers do not have actual measurements, and no tests have been done. This is pure theory and does not come with any guarantees of any kind.
- New German Li-ion 10MW battery: Tesvolt
- xStorage home energy storage
- Sonnenbatterie 40% cheaper home battery
- Dutch Hybrid alternative for the Tesla PowerWall
- 5 questions about the Tesla PowerWall
- Orison plug and play home battery system
- Blue Ion Continuum – powerfull home battery
- 40% cheaper home LiFePO4 battery
Have you seen this?
BetterWorldSolutions helps you finding qualified leads and sales partners, world wide
or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org