Loss-free Solar Heat Battery
Until now, solar heat couldn’t be stored without several loss.
But this is gonna change.
TNO presents a battery which can be used for solar heat storage without losses.
The heat is held in the salt, and the chemical reaction that trapped it there is reversed to release the heat again when it is needed. ‘It’s all about hydration and dehydration, or wetting and drying salt.
Energy producing buildings
TNO succeeded in developing a solution to store the energy surplus of energy producing buildings in a working lossless heat battery.
TNO – a Dutch company – presented a heat battery based on salt hydrates for loss-free storage of solar heat.
It is the first operating system in the world, based on salt hydrates, for the loss-free storage of solar heat. The Merits system has been tested and approved EU-wide. The energy storage system has the potential to store seasonal heat in the built environment.
The battery works based on thermochemical storage.
- Solar thermal collectors on the roof of a house convert sunlight into heat which is stored chemically in the salt, by dehydration of the salt
- The heat is located in the salt, and when that is needed, a hydration reaction ensures that the heat is released
- The salts used are inexpensive and widely available
- The battery system is an inexpensive and compact commercial solution
TNO improved the stability by means of microencapsulation, by physically enveloping the salt hydrate particles in a polymer material that is inherently stable under the conditions required. TNO has developed the battery with European scientific partners and companies.The company has patented the process.
The battery targets three breakthrough elements
- Economical affordability
for the existing building stock we will reach at least a reduction of 15% of the net energy consumption with a potential Return-On-Investment shorter than 10 years
novel high-density materials will be used in order to limit the use of the available space to a maximum of 2.5 m3 thermochemical material
- No heat losses during storage
this is an intrinsic material property of thermochemical storage technology, thereby enabling long-term storage
- ZeroCell – intelligent energy storage
- Using ammonium for energy storage?
- 5 trends in energy storage systems
- Power-to-Gas Energy Storage is booming
Have you seen this?
BetterWorldSolutions helps you finding qualified leads and sales partners, world wide
or mail to email@example.com