Obama cuts Methane Emissions 45% by 2025
Unfortunately the methane plans do not not cover pipeline transmission and gas distribution losses.
The administration will also continue its policy of suggesting and supporting voluntary oil and gas industry efforts to harness methane from drilling.
The strategy supplies guidelines for well emissions on public lands including:
- the Department of Transportation will consider methane leaks when issuing new pipeline safety standards
- the Energy Department will research ways to reduce the cost of detecting leaks and issue energy efficiency standards for natural gas air compressors.
The methane plans follow on from the US Climate Action Plan (March 2014) when the President directed his 2014 administration to put together a comprehensive interagency strategy for reducing emissions of this harmful gas, the sneakiest of atmospheric pollutants.
Methane is CO2 X 20
CH4 is more efficient at trapping radiation than CO2. The comparative impact of CH4 on climate change is over 20 times greater than CO2 over a 100-year period. Natural gas and petroleum systems are the largest source of CH4 emissions from industry.
- mining and natural gas leaks
- agriculture ruminants
- agriculture: rice paddies
- natural wetlands
- Zero emission technology for Power Plants
- EU should reduce emissions with 40% by 2030 only if the world agrees with Paris’ climate deal 2015
- Actual report Greenhouse gas emissions. Need for changing?
- Mecalithe® in Concrete saves 1.5 billion tonnes of CO2