SheerWind Invelox windtube
The SheerWind technology seems to be a cost-effective, high-performance alternative to conventional wind technology. Look at this trending new wind turbine.
According to Dr. Daryoush Allaei, founder of SheerWind, the industry is looking at the problem the wrong way.
Current wind turbines are really only an optimized step beyond the old sail based windmills of Europe, passively waiting for the appropriate wind.
Out of the box product development
This funnel system called INVELOX turns traditional wind power systems upside down by first using a funnel to collect the wind, channeling that wind to increase its speed, and then delivering it efficiently to multiple turbines safely housed at ground level.
It enables energy to be produced from very low wind speeds of 2 meters per second, in locations close to an end user – even on rooftops in urban areas – and eliminates the need for complex power and grid systems. Because the system is enclosed, it is bird-safe.
This is how the Invelox works
- Wind is captured at the top of the funnel shaped INVELOX system. The omnidirectional intake area allows wind collection from any direction
- Wind is funneled through the system
- Wind is concentrated and further accelerated in the Venturi Effect* section of the INVELOX system. *The Venturi effect is the phenomenon that occurs when a fluid that is flowing through a pipe is forced through a narrow section, resulting in a pressure decrease and a velocity increase.
- Wind is delivered to the turbine/generators to convert the accelerated wind to electrical power. INVELOX is the first single wind tower capable of powering multiple turbines in a row or series
- Diffuser returns wind to nature
Wind speeds required to produce power from traditional wind turbines are a minimum of eight miles per hour. This one not. Read more.
- The system is able to harvest wind from any direction. As the wind passes through the tower, it’s directed into and through the waist of an hour glass shaped device called a Venturi tube
- The wind coming out of the waist of the tube is concentrated and traveling at a much higher speed than when it enters
- The system can increase wind speeds from 300 percent to 1,100 percent, which means that it can start harvesting wind to produce electricity at wind speeds as low as two miles per hour
- The system is designed around what is called the Venturi effect, discovered more than 200 years ago. The concept has been utilized on automobile carburetors, aircraft instrumentation, and even gas grills for years. Venturi uses a restricted flow to create additional velocity.
Skepticism in the industry
While the system has not been evaluated or tested by any third parties, Sheerwind and its New Zealand subsidiary claim significant results in speed and energy generation after a 22 day review of the Iranian installation in Manjil.
There is skepticism in the industry that any new wind technology can surpass Betz’s law, which holds that the maximum power that can be extracted is 59.3% of the wind’s kinetic energy.
According to SheerWind, the INVELOX is scalable, equally suitable for use in major wind farms or micro-generation settings. It will produce power effectively at much lower wind speeds than current systems do, which means it has a dramatically wider geographical range.
- Promising Low-Noise Wind Turbine
- Lockheed Martin designed giant 50 MW wind turbine
- Power-to-gas: an option for the energy system of the future?
- Wind Energy Pros & Cons
- Green architecture: Future Windmill is a Ferris wheel
Have you seen this?
BetterWorldSolutions helps you to find high qualified leads and sales partners
Send us your question: email@example.com